Thursday 13 February 2014

Day One Done and Dusted

Wow, what a day! After 5 hours of paddling, portages and one too many swims we finished day 1 of the Dusi Canoe Marathon.
 
Our 42km adventure started at 8am at Camps Drift. It took approximately 10km for the race jitters and adrenaline to wear off. The boat drama started after the Hole in the Wall put in where we saw our first swim.  From that point all the way through to the end Graeme and I found ourselves "sitting skew" thus fighting one another in our attempt to keep the boat up. More often than not Graeme and I ended up losing to the water and the man-eating rocks. 
 
In summary the day was testing both emotonally and physically. Physically, it was ridiculously hot, the portages were difficult and the swims kill you as you have to perform a number of squat presses to empty the boat. The frustrations and challenges made it character building experience (though I admit there were periods where I lost my personality completely). All that being said the day was good :) Though I feel fragile, tired and bruised, I'm stoked for day 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment