Friday 14 February 2014

Dusi Day 2

Distance completed: 42km
Total Time: Approximately 5 hours
Distance done on flat water: 10km
Portages done: 8. Four of which were compulsory, the other 4 was me saying "I choose life"
Rapids and weirs conquered: Gauging weir, Marian Foley
Number of swims: 0
Rapids portaged instead of shooting: Washing Machine, Gumtree, Tombi, Hippo
Weather: 36 degrees. Three climates in one race - small cloud burst in the beginning, Cape-like wind on the dam, and Natal's scorching heat sprinkled in between.

Highlight: Rescue mission just before Hippo rapid. Somewhere between the take out and the rapid I found myself being hauled up a rock to safety by two lifeguards. 

My take on Day 2:

Comparing day 1 to day 2 is like comparing night and day. The simple act of changing from a high seat to a low seat and adding a bum pad made the world of difference! The race went well - I was feeling strong until we hit 22km, thereafter much energy was spent concentrating on keeping in time with my partner. That being said, the race went well :) 

The plebs and their partners in the pound at the start of day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment